As the saying goes: if the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, then this recipe will do the trick. You may want to try cooking some for your valentine.
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound of uncooked shrimp, shelled, deveined, and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil ( in the international food section of you market)
- Dash ground white pepper
- 24 wonton or pot sticker wrappers ( you can find at your market near the bean spouts)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2/3 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce (only if you like it spicy)
- To make the dipping sauce: In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce and sesame oil. Mix well and reserve.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, combine, the pork, shrimp, cilantro, ginger, sugar, salt and sesame oil. Season with a little pepper and mix, stirring rapidly in 1 direction until the mixture is well combined and spongy.
- To make the pot stickers: Working in batches, lay 4 wonton wrappers on a clean surface.
- Keep the remaining wrappers covered in plastic wrap to prevent drying. Put a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of each of the 4 wonton. Brush the edges with water. Fold the wrappers in half over the filling, pinching the edges together to form semi-circles or triangle. Put the pot stickers on a baking sheet seam-side up and cover with a clean towel. Repeat until all the filling has been used.
- If you bought the small square shape wonton wrapper your pot sticker will look like this.
- If you brought the round shape wonton wrapper your pot sticker will look semi-circle.
- To cook the pot stickers: Heat a large skillet over medium. Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot add half the pot stickers. Cook the pot stickers until the bottoms are golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Add 1/3 cup broth. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the cooked pot stickers to a platter. Repeat, cooking the remaining pot stickers.
- Serve the pot stickers warm accompanied by the dipping sauce.